Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Got That Regimen Baby !



What's a regimen ?
Why is it important ?
Why should one use it ?

A regimen is a simple(well, it’s supposed to be ;) ) schedule/routine for taking care of your hair !

Having a regimen is important to the overall health of your hair and scalp.

Having a regimen helps one to learn their hair through trial and error, whether it’s a product, application of said product, when you apply, etc.



Alright, so I must admit, that I haven’t been one for regimens. I keep a schedule though so to speak. I always felt that maybe I needed a more “nailed-down” regimen for my kinks. I feel that having a great regimen is great!

A regimen is especially important for those who are newly natural and or transitioning; to help learn about your hair, its needs, and how one should be taking care of it.

This blog post will serve as a way to educate the noobs to natural hair and to help me set an even better regimen. My current regimen isn’t bad at all, I just think that by adding certain elements it can be GREAT!

When I combed out my locs(back story to come), I definitely had a stricter regimen than I do now but it was still laid-back; I still paid attention to the needs of my hair. I always had the basics of a regimen, just never said to myself, ok wash day is this day and only this day, I’ll do blank this day and such&such this day. I would just do what my kinks asked for, while keeping in mind the basics that need to happen. I would protective style, and I would also let my fro and kinks fly free when I felt the need.

So, let’s get to it !

I feel that these are the basics to a hair care regimen;
- Washing, whether with Conditioner(Co-wash) or with Shampoo. (Moisturizing or Clarifying)
-     Deep Condition ( alternating between Moisture and Protein)
-     Scalp Care (Sugar Scrubs, Hot Oil Treatments, Scalp Massages)
-     Daily Moisture
-     Sealing and Styling(Protective Styling, End Care)
-     Trims( or Search and Destroy for Single Strand Knots/Fairy Knots)

This is partly the regimen that I follow currently(I have a little more). If nothing else is done to your strands, one should at least be doing the basics. Creating a weekly or bi-weekly regimen is important for a healthy head.


There are also supplemental treatments, such as henna, clays, and other D.I.Y mixtures.  I love using supplemental treatments! Those are a definite staple in my “Wannabe Reggie” I’ll be posting my staples and my current regimen in following posts.


When trying to come up with your own regimen make sure you keep these key components in mind.


      How often to wash your hair
   How often to deep condition
    How often to have protein/moisture treatments
   How often to clarify your hair
  How to style it to retain the most length/Protective styling
   How often to trim your hair
  How often to have hot oil treatments
   How often to rotate your shampoos and conditioners
   Pre-pooing and Co-washing
Daily moisturizing
   Protecting your hair( from the elements, rough fabrics, at night.)

Now, I know l that probably seems like a lot when you are trying to keep it simple, but these are all key components to a great regimen for a healthy set of curlies.

Then comes the next question, how often should I be doing these steps?
Another great question, one which I answer in the next post, along with a sample hair regimen.

Stay Tuned !


2 comments:

  1. I need to come up with a Regimen ASAP! My hair breaks super easy when its long so I need to start now while I am growing it back out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! That's definitely the right thing to do !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post ! I appreciate it! Please feel free to leave a comment, I try to do my best to respond to them all. Please keep it respectful though !

Can We Help You Find Something ?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...