Monday, February 6, 2012

Black History Month Feature !

Happy Monday everyone ! 


I hope you all had a good weekend! 


Today, for the Black History Month feature, I would like to showcase a few poems. I love poetry, and how much emotion is released in the writing, the reading, and the hearing of one. I would like to also share a couple of poems that I wrote, but that will come at a later date. I hope that you enjoy the ones that I chose to post.

Starting this Black History Month weekly features really shows just how much influence our people had, have, and are still having in the world.

Morgan Freeman stated that "Black History is American History" in an interview once and how he felt that he didn't really want a Black History Month, which I can kind of understand. Having our history only relegated to one month is a disservice to all those who have paved the path before us, and it kind of sets the tone of "well, we gave them their month, so..." like one month is all we really need, and that we should be glad that a "light" is being shone on us and our ancestors. It's good that people take the time out to recognize our impact on this earth, but at the same times its bad, because February is the only time it's done on such a "national" level. It's almost like a catch-22. Which is why we have to celebrate our black 365 days, 24/7. We shouldn't be satisfied with one month, nor should we stop promoting ourselves and our history on the last day in February.

*drops mic and moonwalks off stage*

That's all I will say on the subject for no, now for poetry! (Click to enlarge)




I had to include two of all all time favorite poems, "I Cry" by Tupac and "Still I Rise" by Maya Angelou. I remember including them in a poetry project I had to complete for 11th grade english.  I hope that you really enjoyed todays poetry features !

Do you enjoy poetry? Who are some of your favorite poets ?

Sources : Daily Poetry http://www.yourdailypoem.com/listpoem.jsp?poem_id=635
Poem Hunter http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/i-cry-19/
Source Books http://www.sourcebooks.com/store/100-best-african-american-poems.html
Afro Poets http://www.afropoets.net/nikkigiovanni8.html
Poets.org http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15623

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post ! I appreciate it! Please feel free to leave a comment, I try to do my best to respond to them all. Please keep it respectful though !

Can We Help You Find Something ?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...