Friday, February 10, 2012

Black History Month Feature : Art



Happy Friday Everyone !!

I hope that you all have a great weekend !!

Today's Black History Feature is one of my favorites artists ! I wrote a Art History paper on him back when I was in college and I just fell in love with his work. So much emotion, movement, and rhythm can be found in his paintings. I'm sure that you all will recognize one of his most famous works if you scroll down just a bit.


So, without further ado, the artist I chose for today is Ernie Barnes.  A painter well-known for his unique style of elongation and movement. He wasn't always a painter though believe it or not, He was also a professional football player, actor and author.



Are you wondering what painting yet ? You have to be, I bet you are sitting on the edge of ---well, whatever you're sitting on...

"Sugar Shack"

Created by Barnes in the 1970's,  It gained international exposure when it was used on the Good Times television series and on a also as the cover artwork for Marvin Gaye's 1976 album "I Want You"  (Now do you recognize it?) It was also featured as cover art for 8 other albums ! This particular image of painting isn't the original, it's the one that was used for Marvin Gaye's album cover. The reason being is that Ernie Barnes went back to the painting and added to a few touches to help promote Gaye's Album.


One more painting that I'd like to leave you with is another one of my favorites "Olympic Finish" You just can't not be a fan of this great man's work! I also love it as a fellow track and fielder. :0)

Anywhoo,

"Olympic Finish"

It's just beautiful ! I plan on buying some of his artwork to decorate my home with. But thats in the future. I just figured you all would care to know !

You can find out much more about Ernie Barnes on his actual website here,  Sadly he passed away in 2009.

RestInPower Mr. Barnes !

P.S. Did you know we are bloghopping today ?

Sources :
erniesbarnes.com
itsablackthang.com
wikipedia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post ! I appreciate it! Please feel free to leave a comment, I try to do my best to respond to them all. Please keep it respectful though !

Can We Help You Find Something ?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...